Monday, February 13, 2012

Going the Extra Mile

George looked up from shoeing the horse to see the outline of Curley's wife in the doorway of the barn. They were alone. George attempted to shy away from her stare, but it cut into him like a thousand daggers. Her presence left him as stiff as a board,  When she spoke her voice hissed like a hyena
    "I'm looking for Curley, have you seen him 'round here?" She demanded 
    "No I ain't seen no one, I'm like a fish out of water. I don't get told nothin." George retorted 
    "Well I wasn't asking to get no 3rd degree from you!" Hissed Curley's wife
    "Aww put a cork in it, all you do is walk 'round here looking for trouble! You're off your rocker if you think I would have any idea where Curley is!"
Curley's wife shied away from Georges words as if they were arrows piercing her skin. George couldn't help but feel bad for the way he had treated her, so he decided to Bite the bullet, and give her the attention she so badly desired. 
    "I didn't mean no harm, I'm just feeling a bit under the weather." 
    "Well thats not reason to treat someone like they're thick as a brick."
George attempted to end the conversation, but Curley's wife's stare was unwavering. She looked at George as she confined in him. 
    "I hate my life." She admitted "Can I admit something to you?" She inquired.
George nodded his head inviting her to continue
    "I wasn't looking for Curley, I came looking for you.." 
Her words stung George. He knew she was trouble for Lennie, but her never expected her to come for him. He refused to acknowledge her invitation for trouble. 
    "Whats wrong?" She demanded "Cat got your tounge.
    "No, I just ain't looking for no trouble, thats all."
    "Trouble from who? Curley? Ha, you don' got to worry about Curley he ain' no danger to you. Heck his shooting is so bad he couldn't even hit the broad side of a barn!
    "I don't care about his shooting, or nothing. I wan' nothing to do with you!"
Just Then a tall shapeless figure appeared in the door. Lennie looked onto the scene with disbelief. 
    "George, what are you doing?" He demanded. "You told me to stay away, that she was nothin' but trouble." 
    "Lennie you stay out of this!" He screamed "I outta tan your hide for comin' in here and questioning me." Lennie sunk down in disbelief then Curley's wife shouted out
    "Lennie get him, he's trapped me in here." 
    "George is that true?"
    "Coarse it ain' true. She's lying!" Protested George.
    "Well i don't believe you, because you come in here with her! You're trying to get rid of her!" Lennie accused. 
    "No I ain't Lennie! You know I wouldn't, you know me!" George Cried but it was in vein; for Lennie was set on protecting the honour of Curley's wife. Lennie reached down and grabbed a medium sized earth stained rock and moved over to george as fast as a cheetah. George had no time to react, and in no time he had pounded the rock into Georges head numerous times. 
   "Good job, good job" Repeated Curleys wife "No we need leave." 
   "He won't be bugging anyone, anymore" He commanded. 
   "No, no he won't. He's off to a better place, or maybe a worse one...."

No comments:

Post a Comment